" CHASTISEMENT OF
Bible Teacher: Michael Blair
Sunday, November 28, 1999
I. SUFFERING MAY BE "THE
CHASTISEMENT OF GOD"
OPENING: Pearl of Great Price / Mother of Pearl
A. THAT GOD CHASTENS HIS CHILDREN IS TAUGHT IN BOTH
1. In the Old Testament:
a. Story of
parents who don’t let their children argue Deuteronomy 8:5
to above - Proverbs 3:11-12
2. In the New Testament:
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and
repent. Rev 3:19
And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when
thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth
every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you
as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye
be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and
not sons. Heb 12:5-8
B. WHAT WOULD BE GOD'S PURPOSE IN CHASTISING HIS CHILDREN?
1. Certainly not because He delights in doing so –
2. But because it may be necessary...To correct -
Hebrews 12:9 That we may be partakers of His Holiness - Hebrews
That we may yield the peaceable
fruit of righteousness - Hebrews 12:11
3. Only so we will not be condemned with the world - 1
C. WHEN WOULD GOD CHASTEN US?
1. Only when we do not correct ourselves!
-1 Corinthians 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not
be judged. (KJV)
2. Only when we are in danger of being
condemned with the world! - 1Corinthians 11:32
D. HOW DOES GOD CHASTEN HIS CHILDREN?
1. Consider how God tried to correct the erring
nation of Israel - Amos 4:6-12
a. These were not
miraculous or supernatural events
b. But acts of nature
brought on by the providential working of God!
2. If God
would use His Providence in an attempt to get the nation of Israel to repent
before it was too late...
a. Would not the same loving
God use His providential workings to chastise His delinquent children today?
3. I know of no scriptural reason why God could
not or would not use His Providence to bring about events in our lives which can
hopefully serve to:
a. Wake us up – STORY / NEWS
of Gay ministers die
b. Cause us to reflect on our
lives and our relationship to God
– Road Rage: Father participated in the outcome of his 12y daughter being
confined to a wheelchair
c. Encourage us to repent and
turn back to Him if we are straying – HISTORY - Pilgrams / Mayflower
E. OTHER OUTCOMES FROM SUFFERING – (Let’s see if this is
God’s work or Satan’s)
II. SUFFERING MAY BE "THE RESULT OF OUR OWN ACTIONS"
A. GOD HAS CREATED A WORLD GOVERNED BY NATURAL LAWS...
1. Laws of cause and effect;
Laws of action and reaction; Laws of
sowing and reaping
B. IF WE VIOLATE THESE LAWS, THE CONSEQUENCES ARE OFTEN
1. Like stepping off a ten story
building – tempting God – Matt 4:5-7
2. Or feeding one's body constantly with
"junk" food - 1 Cor 3:16-17
3. Or exposing oneself to contagious
diseases, pollution, dangerous chemicals (leaving them unlocked), Cell
III. SUFFERING MAY BE "THE WORK OF SATAN"
A. THE BIBLE PRESENTS SATAN AS A CAUSE OF SUFFERING...
1. As in the case of Job
- Job 1:6-12; 2:1-6
2. As in the case
of persecuted Christians – 1 Peter 5:8-9
HELPFUL HINTS IN HOW TO LIMIT SUFFERING
Walk in the light of the Lord (live Biblically) – Exodus 20:1-17, Deuteronomy
28:1-14, Deuteronomy 7:8
Stay out of Satan’s territory
Learn and adhere to: on what God has placed curses – Deuteronomy 28:15-68
Consult with God through Holy Spirit/ask Holy Spirit for guidance, allow Him to
be your LORD – shepherd, someone who guides you, leads you, make Him someone
you rely on. This will prevent you from many falls, hurts, etc.
Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and
the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called
Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of
Rebuke Satan, be alert –there is a spiritual war going on constantly, be
sober, get to know the power of prayer, spiritual warfare, reality of God’s
surrounding, His unconditional love, and presents of angels. Put on the
armor of God!
1. The gist of what I am saying is this: When we experience suffering in
a. IT MAY BE WE HAVE VIOLATED SOME LAW OF NATURE
1) In this case, there is no moral
2) It is not because one is good or bad
b. IT MAY BE THE WORK OF SATAN
1) In this case, it is because we are
righteous in God's sight
2) And Satan is trying to devour us, to
get us to rebel against God
c. IT MAY BE THE CHASTISEMENT OF GOD
1) If so, it is ONLY because...
a) He loves us
b) He sees that we are
heading in a direction which if left unchecked would result in the damnation of
2) God won't stop us from sinning, but
through His providential workings in the affairs of this world He might try to
get us to reflect upon what we are doing!
2. CAN WE DETERMINE when any particular suffering is from God, Satan or
a. I don't believe we can
b. Unless, of course, one's sin is so blatant...
3. HOW THEN SHALL WE REACT TO SUFFERING?
a. IF in every case of suffering we approach it from the
viewpoint that it
MIGHT be God in love chastening us...
b. And IF we use the occasion of suffering to:
1) Examine our lives and our relationship
2) Draw closer to God...
1) If it is from God, it FULFILLS His
2) If it is from Satan, it FRUSTRATES his
3) If it is neither, it still brings us
closer to God!